If you like photographing birds, then you need a good digital camera with a long zoom on it so that you can get great shots of them: both when they are moving and standing still. In this guide, we will take a look at three cameras that all have a superzoom function on them.
This way, you should be able to find the best camera for bird photography and be able to start using it on your next adventure.
The world of cameras is hugely expansive, with multiple brands, models, and functions, and when it comes to choosing the best superzoom camera, you need to know where to begin!
Do you like to take close-up images of far-away objects, such as cityscapes, animals and more? If so, then you may want to consider investing in a camera with super zoom on it.
These cameras have zooms that extend far beyond that of a typical digital camera, yet they still provide you with stunningly clear images.
The great thing about superzoom cameras is that they can zoom from a very wide angle, down to an extremely focused shot, without the use of additional lenses or attachments.
These extra attachments can be very expensive, and take a certain learning curve, whereas a superzoom camera is like a larger digital camera.
Superzoom cameras are great to have if you like taking long shots of objects that generally appear far away.
As you comb through the most popular superzoom camera reviews, you probably see model after model that boasts its most prominent features and specifications.
However, narrowing it down to just a few select models that constantly get the best high scores can be rather challenging.
So now that you are convinced that a superzoom is the right choice, let’s review what are considered the best superzoom cameras in terms that are clear and easy to follow.
Top 12 Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding List
1) Nikon COOLPIX P900 :- Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding
Nikon COOLPIX P900 Digital Camera with 83x Optical Zoom and Built-In Wi-Fi(Black)
- 16MP CMOS Sensor;6-level brightness adjustment
- 24-2000mm 35mm Equivalent Focal Length. Sensor Size: 1/2.3 inch
- 83x Optical Zoom NIKKOR Super ED VR Lens
- Vari-Angle TFT LCD Screen
- Electronic Viewfinder.Highest ISO Sensitivity:6400
The Nikon COOLPIX P900 typically receives very high scores on the best superzoom camera reviews for many reasons.
To begin with, there is a 83X optical zoom on this camera, so it can get you even closer to the action in your photos and videos than you actually are.
The camera captures 16-megapixel still images, and it also records full-1080p/60p HD videos.
This camera is very lightweight and easy to hold onto for long periods of time considering its zoom capability, and the controls are very easy to use, so changing settings shouldn’t be too difficult.
There are 18 different scene modes on this camera that you can choose from to make your pictures look absolutely fantastic, and you can also use the Easy Auto Mode to let the camera do the work for you based on your individual shooting situation.
According to the Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding reviews on Amazon.com, users like the overall ease of use that this camera offers while still providing high-quality pictures and videos.
Users also like the relatively long battery life that this camera offers.
2) PANASONIC LUMIX FZ80 :- Best Superzoom Camera
PANASONIC LUMIX FZ80 4K Digital Camera, 18.1 Megapixel Video Camera, 60X Zoom DC VARIO 20-1200mm Lens, F2.8-5.9 Aperture, POWER O.I.S. Stabilization, Touch Enabled 3-Inch LCD, Wi-Fi, DC-FZ80K (Black)
- POINT-AND-SHOOT LONG ZOOM CAMERA: 18.1-megapixel MOS sensor plus 60X zoom DC VARIO lens (20-1220mm) and POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) captures far off moments
- HIGH-RESOLUTION VIEWFINDER AND LCD DISPLAY: High-resolution 1,170K-dot viewfinder and rear touch-enabled 3-inch LCD display (1040 dots) are clear even in bright sunlight
- 4K VIDEO CAPTURE: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus with internal Focus Stacking allows you to record photos up to 30fps and set your desired focus points after the photo has been taken
- LOW-LIGHT PERFORMANCE: Low-light capture lets you enjoy photography during your nightlife again with impressive results
- USB CHARGING AND WI-FI CONNECTIVITY: Enjoy travel ready technologies like USB charging and Wi-Fi connectivity to your mobile device; HDMI D (Micro), Micro-USB and USB 2.0 provide additional connectivity to your favorite devices.Max Resolution:4896 x 3672
The PANASONIC LUMIX FZ80 may prove to be the best camera for bird photography for several reasons.
To begin with, it captures 18.1-megapixel still images, 4K and full-1080p HD video with beautiful auto focus that doesn’t get blurry or grainy.
There is also a 60x optical zoom on this camera, so you can capture stunning close-up shots of even the farthest-away birds.
Plus, the Dolby sound-quality audio that is recorded by this camera works to minimize background noise so that all you hear is the audio you want to match the video.
Optical Image Stabilization ensures that your photos and videos do not come out blurry, even if you have shaky hands or the wind is blowing.
Camera Creative is a special function that allows you to retouch your photos from directly inside the camera, even after you’ve already shot them.
This eliminates the need for any external photo editing software. Finally, you can use the camera’s panorama mode to capture beautiful 360-degree shots of any landscape or scenery.
Reviewers on Amazon.com say that they like the long zoom on this camera, as it helps for creating high-quality close-up shots.
Users also like the intelligent auto focus on this camera, as it tends to do quite well at detecting the settings you need for any given scene being shot.
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX400V Wi-Fi Digital Camera
- Clear Image Zoom ZEISS Lens. Panorama (Recording): Intelligent Sweep Panorama (supports 360 format)
- 20.4MP Exmor R CMOS Sensor for superb low light images
- Keep your subject in focus with Lock-On AF. Screen type: 7.5cm (3.0 type)(4:3) / 921,600 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi w/NFC3
- Map your images with GPS tagged photos.Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens):0.39 in - Infinity (W), 7.87 ft - Infinity (T)
Anyone looking for the best camera for bird photography may want to consider the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX400V .
This unit is designed to capture 20.4-megapixel still images and captures HD videos in full 1080p and in 4K resolution.
This camera also has a 50x optical zoom, which helps you take close-up shots of all your favorite birds in action.
The powerful CMOS sensor on this device is even strong enough to handle shooting in low light situations.
Optical Steady Shot Image Stabilization is a powerful feature that keeps your pictures from looking blurred or grainy as a result of camera shake caused by the wind or your hands.
The 4K movies come out with stunning clarity, and they can be played back on an HDTV if you connect an HDMI cable between the camera and a TV, then choose to play back your footage that way.
The LCD screen tilts up or down so you can take overhead shots whenever you need to and still see what you’re capturing.
Finally, the resolution on this camera works to capture continuous motion shots without any sort of distortions, and the panorama mode helps you get a great 360-degree scenery shot.
Amazon.com reviewers say that they like the lightweight functionality associated with this camera, as this makes it easy to carry around and use for extended periods of time. Users also like the overall picture and video quality achieved with this camera.
4) Nikon COOLPIX B500 Digital Camera :- Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding
Nikon COOLPIX B500 Digital Camera (Black)
- 16MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
- NIKKOR f/3.0-6.5mm ED Lens
- 22.5-900mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 40x Optical Zoom Lens, 80x Dynamic Zoom
- 3" 921k-Dot Tilting LCD.Highest ISO Sensitivity:6400
The Nikon COOLPIX B500 can easily be considered the best camera for bird photography due to its powerful 40x optical zoom and 16-megapixel 1/2.3″ BSI CMOS sensor, which helps you take stunning still photos in all lighting situations.
This camera records HD videos in full-1080p, and it is available in black, red, or dark gray.
A built-in GPS function on the camera records where all your shots were taken; so you don’t have to try and figure it out yourself later on.
There is also the internal Wi-Fi for Wi-Fi connectivity, you can share your photos and videos instantly via a wireless internet connection.
If you want to be able to play back your photos and videos on an HDTV, you can absolutely do that. Simply connect an HDMI cable from the camera to the TV and then set up the playback.
In seconds, you should have a slideshow or be able to view the footage directly from the large screen of your television set. Since the CMOS sensor on this unit is high-performance, you can capture great low light or nighttime pictures without the need for a flash.
According to popular Amazon.com reviews, users like the overall ease of use associated with this camera, as well as the 40x optical zoom, which helps you create stunning close-up shots. Users also how beautiful the pictures and videos captured by this camera turn out.
Are you trying to find the Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding? If so, then B500 may be the best choice for you.
PANASONIC LUMIX FZ300 Long Zoom Digital Camera Features 12.1 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch Sensor, 4K Video, WiFi, Splash & Dustproof Camera Body, Leica DC 24X F2.8 Zoom Lens - DMC-FZ300K - (Black) USA
- 4K video & 4K PHOTO - Panasonic's exclusive 4K PHOTO technology uses 30 frames per second in high resolution 4K Ultra HD video to extract them as photos. You'll never miss that moment again
- Leica DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens - 24x zoom (25-600mm) with full zoom range F2. 8 aperture for enhanced low light shooting meeting the stringent quality standards established by Leica
- High image quality - The 12. 1-Megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with the Venus engine excels in diffraction compensation, yielding images that are crisp & free from artifacts associated with small aperture settings
- Rugged camera design - splash proof/dustproof rugged camera design with tight seals on every joint, dial and button, so it stands up to harsh weather conditions and challenging
- 5-Axis Hybrid optical image Stabilizer Plus - Reduces Blur from one-handed video shooting by compensating for five types of movement. Level shot function detects horizon line & maintains it, even if the camera is tilted
The PANASONIC LUMIX FZ300 usually tops the charts on the best superzoom camera reviews because of its ability to capture 12.1-megapixel high sensitivity MOS Sensor still images and full-1080p HD, 4K videos & Photos.
There is a 24X optical zoom function on this camera, so it can get closer to the action than almost any other camera in the industry right now.
It has 2.8 Aperture on full range for enhanced low light capability.
The Optical Image Stabilizer on this camera reduces the blurring and distortions that can sometimes appear in your photos and videos as a result of shaky hands.
There are special creative control features and retouching functions that allow you to edit your photographs directly inside the camera without the need for any external editing software, and the panorama mode enhances the overall levels of creativity that you can have with this particular camera.
The MOS sensor on this camera makes it perform well in low-light situations, and the intelligent AUTO mode will take stunning pictures based on the type of scene that you are trying to shoot.
The superzoom camera reviews on Amazon.com indicate that many users like the automatic mode on the camera, as it allows you to capture stunning photographs that many other cameras cannot produce.
Users also like the long zoom on this camera, because it is great for nature photography.
Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX400 Digital Camera Bundle. Value Kit with Accessories
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Digital Camera - Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1 - AC Adaptor AC-UB10C/UB10D - Micro USB Cable - Shoulder Strap - Shoe Cap - Lens Cap - Sony 1 Year Warranty - Bundle Includes: - Sony 16GB Class 10 SDHC Card - Holster Case - Cleaning Kit - SD Card Reader
- Adorama Camera Valuable Bundle. Kit Includes.
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400 Digital Camera, Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1, AC Adaptor AC-UB10C/UB10D, Micro USB Cable, Shoulder Strap, Shoe Cap, Lens Cap, SonyUSA 1 Year Warranty.
- Legacy Series 16GB SDHC Full Size SD Memory Card.
- Rezo TLZ-20 Holster-style Bag For Digital SLR With Compact Zoom Lens, Black. Flashpoint Mini Multi-Card Reader, USB 2.0.
Anyone who reads the latest superzoom camera reviews more than likely knows that the Sony DSC-HX400 is one of the most popular options on the market right now.
This camera has a 50X optical zoom that allows you to take great long-range shots at distances that most cameras cannot even compete with, and it takes 20-megapixel still images and records full-1080p HD videos.
The SteadyShot Image Stabilization function on this camera reduces the risk of having any blurry images as a result of camera shake, and the powerful CMOS sensor captures stunning images in situations with poor lighting.
You can tilt the LCD screen down on this camera so you can still see what you are doing as you try to take an overhead shot of the crowd, and you can use the camera’s panorama mode to create a beautiful 360-degree photograph.
Many of the most popular superzoom camera reviews show that users are quite fond of the high levels of detail in still images that this camera produces. Users also like the lightweight functionality of this camera, because this makes it easy to carry around with you.
7) PANASONIC LUMIX FZ1000 4K :- Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding
PANASONIC LUMIX FZ1000 4K Point and Shoot Camera, 16X LEICA DC Vario-ELMARIT F2.8-4.0 Lens, 21.1 Megapixels, 1 Inch High Sensitivity Sensor, DMC-FZ1000 (USA BLACK)
- 4K VIDEO & 4K PHOTO - Panasonic's exclusive 4K PHOTO technology uses 30 frames per second in high resolution 4K Ultra HD video to extract them as photos. You'll never miss that moment again
- LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens - 24x zoom (25-600mm) with full zoom range F2. 8 aperture for enhanced low light shooting meeting the stringent quality standards established by Leica
- HIGH IMAGE QUALITY - The 12. 1-Megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with the Venus engine excels in diffraction compensation, yielding images that are crisp & free from artifacts associated with small aperture settings
- RUGGED CAMERA DESIGN - splash proof/dustproof rugged camera design with tight seals on every joint, dial and button, so it stands up to harsh weather conditions and challenging environments
- 5-AXIS HYBRID OPTICAL IMAGE STABILIZER PLUS - Reduces Blur from one-handed video shooting by compensating for five types of movement. Level shot function detects horizon line & maintains it, even if the camera is tilted
This camera by Panasonic is an all-around heavy hitter, with great quality all around. The images come out clear and sharp at all distances. This is important if you are relying on distance shots.
It also shoots great 4K video at 30 frames-per-second (fps), which means your videos will be consistently clear. It’s also very fast, with a fast focus and shutter release, continuous shooting at 12 frames per second.
With 24x zoom, the only downside would be that it cannot zoom further, but 24x is pretty darn close for a day to day camera.
It has 2.8-4 aperture for great low light images. With this high sensitivity senor you can capture crisp images even under low light.
With so few negatives, the Panasonic DMC-FZ1000 is definitely a best superzoom camera for birding.
Canon PowerShot SX530 Digital Camera w/ 50X Optical Zoom - Wi-Fi & NFC Enabled (Black)
- Powerful 50x Optical Zoom lets you capture the details that make your photography stand out
- Equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and NFC to make wireless sharing of photos between compatible devices easy and convenient
- Fully compatible with Canon's photo and video storage device: the Canon Connect Station CS100. Focal Length- 4.3(W)-215.0(T)mm(35mm film equivalent:24-1200mm). Normal: 2.0 in. (5cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T). Auto/Manual: 0.0 in. (0cm) - infinity (W), 4.3 ft. (1.3m) - infinity (T). Macro AF: 0.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (0-50cm) (W)
- 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor delivers state-of-the-art imaging performance
- Full HD video at 30p for notably smooth and lifelike quality
This Canon is another top of the line superzoom camera when considering it’s great features.
With 50x zoom, you can really close in on whatever it is you can think of. It also features the DIGIC 4+ image processor and has an ISO capability of 3200.
The video feature is great as well, shooting at 1080p resolution, giving clear HD video. Finally, the LCD screen is fully articulating, letting you take photos from many angles.
With the high sensitivity CMOS sensor and the high ISO rating, you will be able to get decent images even in low light.
With Canon’s HS System, you get higher shutter speeds so you can take action pictures with minimal blur.
Continuous shooting at about 10 frames per second, it is still fast, and although not at the level of the SX60, still a fantastic camera for a lower price tag.
9) Nikon COOLPIX P1000 :- Best SuperZoom Camera For Birding
Nikon COOLPIX P1000 16.7 Digital Camera with 3.2" LCD, Black
- 3000mm optical zoom-the most powerful zoom lens Ever put on a Nikon Coolpix camera
- 4K Ultra HD video with HDMI out, stereo sound and an accessory Hot-Shoe
- Rock-steady dual detect image stabilization and great low-light capability
- Raw (nrw), time-lapse and Super lapse shooting Plus great creative modes
- Full manual controls along with easy auto shooting
The Nikon COOLPIX P1000 may prove to be the best super zoom camera for birding for various reasons.
To begin with, it is available in black, red, or dark grey, and it features a 125x optical zoom that allows you to capture close-up images of far-away objects without any difficulty.
The camera also takes stunning 18-megapixel still images and records HD video in full-1080p.
A built-in GPS tagging function automatically records your location with each shot you take, which is handy when you need to go back later and figure out where each photo was captured.
If you purchase the Wi-Fi accessory (not included), then you can access many open Wi-Fi networks and share your pictures and videos with the world via email, Facebook, YouTube, and many other social networking sites.
The CMOS sensor on this unit allows you to capture stunning photos, even in low light situations, and the controls are exceptionally easy to learn and use.
According to popular Amazon.com reviews, users like the CMOS sensor on this unit, as it truly does help you capture crystal-clear photos in low light situations.
Users also like the optical zoom and the capability to connect to Wi-Fi when the wireless accessory for this camera is purchased.
10 ) Canon Powershot SX60
Canon Powershot SX60 16.1MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens 3-inch LCD Tilt Screen (Black)
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC allows wireless transferring of images and video ; Power Source :Battery Pack NB-10L, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC80
- 16.1 megapixel 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with DIGIC 6 image processor (Canon HS SYSTEM)
- 65x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 260x combined zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer.Video Clip Length Up to 29 Min 59 Sec
- Bright 3-inch vari-angle LCD plus an electronic viewfinder. Operating temperature: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Capture stunning 1080p HD video in MP4 format with a dedicated movie button and zoom while shooting
This Canon SX60 digital camera is packed with features that other cameras don’t have, like a 3D panorama mode, and a powerful 16.1 mega-pixels, giving it extreme clarity and resolution.
It also has fantastic zoom capabilities, and with a continuous shooting speed of 10 fps, it is consistent with the other cameras. It also features 3D stills, which is something that other cameras do not have, putting it in the top three for best superzoom camera.
So that you can easily mark where you took that picture, the Canon comes with GPS and Compass which will pinpoint your location. It uses the CMOS sensor to provide a decent low-light images.
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black) - International Version (No Warranty)
- 16.1MP 1/2.3" BSI MOS Sensor Venus Engine Image Processor
- Lumix DC Vario 60x Optical Zoom Lens 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 20-1200mm
- 3.0" 460k-Dot LCD Monitor 0.20" 202k-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- Full HD 1080i AVCHD Video at 60 fps Built-In Windshield Zoom Microphone
- POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode Creative Controls, Panorama, and Retouch
In this guide, we will take a look at three different models so that you can find the best super zoom digital camera that meets all of your needs.
The Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 can easily be considered the best super zoom digital camera because of its powerful 60x optical zoom. This may be the highest zoom on any digital camera thus far.
The camera also takes 16.1-megapixel still images and can capture HD videos in full 1080p with auto focus and stereo-quality Dolby sound.
Optical image stabilization on this unit greatly reduces the amount of camera shake, so you shouldn’t see any blurriness or distortions in your images, even if you have shaky hands or if the wind is blowing.
The camera creative controls allow you to edit your pictures and videos while you are shooting, or after the picture has already been taken, and this bridge camera’s panorama mode helps to capture those stunning wide-angle shots that other cameras may miss.
Reviewers on Amazon.com say that they like the overall image and video clarity associated with this particular camera.
Users also like the 60x optical zoom, as this allows you to photograph a wide array of subjects without blurs or distortions of any kind.
Canon PowerShot SX420 IS Digital Camera (Black) with 20MP, 42x Optical Zoom, 720p HD Video & Built-In Wi-Fi + 64GB Card + Reader + Grip + Spare Battery and Charger + Tripod + Complete Accessory Bundle
- Kit Includes: Canon PowerShot SX420 IS Digital Camera + NB-11LH Lithium-Ion Battery Pack + CB-2LF Battery Charger + Lens Cap + WS-DC12 Wrist Strap + Limited 1-Year Warranty (All these in Canon box)
- + Padded Camera Case + Spare Power2000 Battery + Spare Charger + Hand Grip + Gripster Tripod + The Imaging World Micro Fiber Cleaning Cloth
- + SanDisk 64GB High-Speed SDXC Class 10 Memory Card + Card Reader + Memory Card Wallet + Screen Protector + Vidpro Digital Camera Cleaning Kit
- 20.0MP 1.2.3" CCD Image Sensor - DIGIC 4+ Image Processor - 42x Optical Zoom Lens - 24-1008mm (35mm Equivalent) - 3.0" 230k-Dot LCD Monitor
- HD 720p Video Recording at 25 fps - Intelligent IS Image Stabilization - Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC - ISO 1600 and 2.2 fps Continuous Shooting - Smart AUTO and Scene Modes
Perhaps the best super zoom digital camera on the market right now is the Canon PowerShot SX420. The unit features a 42x optical zoom and captures stunning 20-megapixel still images. You can also record HD movies in 720p with this device.
Intelligent IS keeps the camera from shaking too much, so you don’t have to worry about blurs in your images due to shaky hands.
The CCD sensor is designed in such a way as to capture crystal-clear photos, even in low light situations.
You can tilt the LCD screen down toward you when you need to take an overhead shot, so you can still see what is going on. Finally, the device captures images at 2.2 frames per second, so you don’t ever have to miss an action shot ever again.
Amazon.com reviewers say that they like the outstanding image and video quality that this camera provides. Users also like the overall ease of use as well as how easy the device is to hold onto.
All the cameras listed here are top of the line, and worthy of purchase. If functionality, budget, and reliability are taken into consideration as you shop for a superzoom camera, then you will be sure to find the right one.
Bigger price tags do not mean better camera, so make sure you do your homework, and find the right camera for you and your needs!
Tips when camera shopping
There are things to consider, and without proper investigation, you could end up spending much more than you need to and not getting the camera you want. Here are the main things to think about:
- Functionality– Where and when will you use your camera? Are you a family photographer, taking pictures of birthdays and vacations, or are you a sports journalist, or an event photographer, taking shots of special events like weddings and competitions?
- Budget– How much are you looking to spend? You need a certain amount of money for any camera that will last, so keep that in mind as well.
- Reliability– You have to make sure you choose a camera that will last in the long run and perform at a consistent rate for as long as possible.
Have you been combing the markets for the best super zoom digital camera? If so, then you may want to consider one of the above three options.
Each of them is laden with an extremely long optical zoom, and they all capture stunning HD videos and photos with high resolutions. In short, if you want a device that helps you to photograph a wide array of subjects from various angles, then these may be the best cameras for you.
Indeed, many of the best superzoom camera reviews will list the above three models as the top contenders on the market, and rightly so. Each of these cameras can take full-HD videos, and they have professional-quality image capturing capabilities, so you should be quite amazed at the photos produced by these devices. Finally, their controls are easy to operate, and you should be able to get several years of enjoyment out of any of them—no matter which model you choose.